Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Scam Emerald

Many years ago, a friend of mine came to me with great excitement saying he had just bought a great rough emerald for a great price. Some $20,000. Giant. Clean. He had just come back from Zambia and could I cut it?
Well, yes, but let me see it first. So I trotted over to his place, and reverently he handed it over to me.


This is what it looked like first Now there is a SERIOUS problem with this picture. Namely, that the emerald that is shown is five sided.

I ground it down and then I knew( not that I didn't already)



Nice green when shown through light

Ha Ha Ha, lead plugs to give the resin weight.
The outside, while the resin was still sticky, had been covered 'just so' with the correct sand, and that gave it an overall appearance of a excellent emerald
The overall size is 30mm x 20mm so it would have been a good stone if it was real. And if it had six sides. Dang! Twenty grand in sy moer in...








Post a Comment