Saturday, August 30, 2008

Lapidary Work

Every while or so I get gatvol of making jewelery. Then I switch over to gem cutting and carving. I like gem cutting, because it is easy and you don't have to think too hard while you doing it. What I mean is that once you have cut the stone, (the thinking part) then the polishing is just cruising along. Unless something goes wrong, like falling asleep or day dreaming your tang off the lap. Then you spit and cuss and start again. Anyway, I took some so-so pictures of the stones I finished this week.

This is a cinnamon CZ test cut. Wilf Ross rectangle. It uses a very brilliant pavilion and a standard emerald cut top. I just had to do this one in Cubic Zirconia. I love cutting coloured Cubic. Cuts easy, polishes easy, and always looks good.
I just ordered eight more different colours from http://www.morioncompany.com/, owned by Uriah, a gentleman of note.

Another test cut. This time in colour change CZ It is called the Princess Heart cut, by John Baily. It's okay-ish.

Also a test cut, in colour change CZ. This time designed by Greg Glen, called Fusion. Namely, a mix of a brilliant and emerald cuts. Nice. I love Greg Glen and John Baily designs.

This, a blue green Tourmaline in the Opposed Bar cut. Very good for closed-c axis material.

A brown tourmaline, in the Wilf Ross cut. I like unusually coloured tourmalines.

A bi -colour tourmaline with a clear green line through it. Standard emerald cut. Bought from http://www.hassamventures.com/ owned by Terry Henning, also a gentleman of note. Believe me, when I call someone a gentleman, that is high praise, because there are more sharks in the gem business than Madonna has had lovers. Ok, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. Nearly as many sharks then.

A green tourmaline in the "fast bright emerald " cut from John Baily again.

A pink Tourmaline . Not a very good picture. Wilf Ross cut

A sunset tourmaline, Wilf Ross again. What makes me think I like that cut?

Carved Chrysoprase from Australia. It is being made into a 18kt ring. The chips round the center tube still have to be finished off.

A piece of Zugelite, from South Africa. It is found in a Manganese mine situated at a place known as Hotazell. No kidding. I have been there, and it if frigging hot.
I am going to set this piece in a gold bangle, hence the curved shape.
Post a Comment