It was an old mirror. The sides are made of off-cuts of stained glass. I got a LOT of off-cuts from previous projects.
The face has been soldered together from copper offcuts. The red behind it is red-ish stained glass.
I soldered the face together with silver hard, which I left unfinished.
Then I cooked the face in my oven at 600C for ten minutes and then quenched it into normal tap water. That gives a red and black finish.
Close up of the coloured glass rods. These are the coloured ones used in lamp working.
I cut facet shapes to the end of the clear glass rods. I thought it would glow with reflected light, but it did not work very well.
The outer corners were finished off with copper foil, also cooked in the oven, over the stained glass solder. The edges of the copper are fused with a Little Torch.
I started this project by first scratching the paint off with a small screw driver sharpened into a chisel shape.
The screw driver does not remove the mirror backing.
After the paint is removed, I paint a dilute nitric acid (30%) on the mirror backing.
The photograph above shows me painting nitric on the border.
I finished the design on the back and then etched it.
I first made a box of clear glass with the the mirror glued on to the front of it, and a stained glass frame glued onto that.
The center box was made of clear glass so the light transfers to the stained glass edges easily.
The hanging braces are made of aluminium angle and joined to the middle glass box.
The back is closed up with a mirror facing inwards.
The stained glass and glass rode are glued on with silicone clear glue.
In fact, other than than mechanical joining like the lamp bracket, where two holes are drilled through the glass, the entire thing is glued with silicone.
I just use cheap movements for the time keeping.
Installing an expensive movement is easy, but would tie up to much of my working money and these are plenty reliable and accurate..
And I am interested in making the surround only.
View of the lamp bracket.
I use a drill press with a diamond core drill lubricated with WD40 at medium speed.and light pressure. It takes about 4 minutes.
The size of this clock is about 500mm x 300mm x 80mm and it took about a week to make.