Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Time Tower is Finished


Finished.
With this piece I religiously recorded the hours I spent working on it.
A total of 203 hours of work.
It stands 300mm high by 330mm long by 180mm wide.
The wood base, which is Southern African Cherry wood, was finished yesterday and fitted into the copper and brass frame.
The brass legs and the top and bottom edifices were made here
The whole time tower consists of 354 individually made components.
Other than the bulbs, clock inserts, handle on the top and the rheostat, everything is handmade.
I started the basic frame in May this year.
Rear view.
The electrical cable will be replaced after I have finished making the display cabinets for this piece and my Gear Gun.
That is a big mission in itself.
I ordered 'U' channeling from K&S Engineering in the USA and of course I had to buy dealers quantities so I have got enough for my lifetime and yours....
Side View.

Pierced and blued titanium and brass background .
The titanium in the front and the brass are pierced out in a style I call the exaggerated curve.
It is something I have drawn since I was a child.

The sides of the tower with pierced brass and a copper background.
A close up of the junction box, where the cabling divides.
The top of one of the light towers, with pierced out brass plate that was domed and a copper sheet with a glass inlay
View from the top, showing the focusing lens.
The gear doors closed.
And the gear doors open.
The black handle on the top is connected to a dimmer switch that also functions as the on/off switch.
This is the door latch that stops the doors from opening.
The gears were cast here
Detail of the time smoothing device above the main clock face.
One of the corner clamps that hold time down and keep it in it's place.
They were wax carved, cast, then vulcanized and injected and cast again.
There are two tube guides. They were hand made out of copper and brass.
A couple of posts ago, I was asked how I achieved this texture.
Done with a 1.5mm ball frazer and a hanging motor. And an evenings sweat.
This was an enjoyable project, done in the Steampunk art genré.
I like this art form.
It allows me to use my goldsmithing skills in metals that don't break the bank.
It allows me to move into areas that I am not confident in.
This is a good thing for any metal smith, I think.
This project caused me to make many things three and on occasion even four times over before I was happy.
And because everything is bigger than jewellery, the re-work was more significant, and therefore the angst factor in relation to the cheapness of the metal was quite high.
I thought it would not be the case, but when you about to frack a section up that costs $10 in metal but took 20 hours to make, you sweat, believe me.
My next project after the display cases, is going to be a steam punk type dinosaur in an opening glass and brass egg.
Post a Comment