Thursday, November 26, 2009

Waxes, Cast Rings, Shells and Gears


I carved these three rings in Matt purple wax.
I also have been making moulds of shells and injecting gears.

They were cast into silver.
Silver is the easiest metal to cast for me, so much so that I cast three master wax patterns in one flask.
Casting masters simultaneously in one flask can be very dumb because you can lose them all with a miss-cast.
So I'm dumb and lucky........
I cast an anti-ox alloy in a solution of 95% to 5% alloy.
I have a couple of experimental CZ's one with a gold ball in it and another with a platinum ball in it and one that is cut in a three colour laminated opposed bar cut.
These will be set in these rings.
Does that make sense?
Anyway, if it doesn't, go back to where it is where all was shown.

I try to cast business with pleasure, so if I get a order to cast a specific thing, then I tag along a art-stroke-project cast along with it.
A bit like hitching a ride on the back of a freight train, if you get my drift.
Anyway, the two shells were brought to me from a good customer of mine, and I made a silicone mold from them using Zero D's clear silicone.
Look, I like the product, but I could use a bit more clarity.
It is a bit opaque to call it clear, really.
Otherwise, a very cool silicone.

And at the same time I cast a new set of gears that will be used in my Dino War Machine project.
The gears are cast out of brass, the shells were cast out of 14kt gold and the rings out of silver.
A multiple metal cast that required lots of cleaning up of the machine in between casts.
And speaking of the Dino project, I was asked/told by several people that in no way am I to stop posting about incremental advances during the project.
Okay, so for what it's worth............
The gears being burnt out and about to be cast.
I always put the crucible in the oven with the correct amount metal in it.
This is especially handy with brass, because the trick with casting such a volatile metal is to melt it to liquidity without the zinc fuming.
But it is also a good thing to do generally with all metals. ( that is, of course, if you spin cast)
The zinc tends to fume quickly if the torch is too hot, so when I pre-heat the whole crucible/metal thing, there is a more overall heat around everything.
This makes it easier to bring everything to temperature without fuming and spitting and fracking.
Dino War Machine gears at the moment of birth, ready to do battle against the forces of darkness and destruction.
Trust me on this one.
Post a Comment