Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Final Tale Of The Dino War Machine.

 

Carving-Dino-Platform

I started with a piece of  Mukwa, which is  a wood that comes from the deep and dark jungles of Africa. It is hewn from aggressive and hard living trees that my African friend Mraka Zulu and I battled to capture.

But capture we did and after an arduous journey back to a place of safety, we were able to have a beer together and wonder why the stupid Dutch lost the friggin’ world cup.

However, we both decided that the containment of the Dino War Machine was more important that the world cup, so we parted our ways and I set to work………

Spine-Flower-wax

First I had to make brass spikes that denoted only horror and pain.

Eight in all, for all the winds of agony that blow from each corner of the compass.

From BP to North Korea they scream a warning. I cast them in plaster and burned them together under a hot fire.

Dino-Flower

Then copper petals I forged with hammer and heat so that the beautiful flower could crawl into the heads of the guilty and pierce even their darkest dreams with agony poison on it’s spikes.

Carving-Dino-Platform-3

Spikes?----- There is nothing guilty about these spikes in the front .

Believe me when I say unto you that they are not the visual equivalent of a pale and bland watercolour painting.

They guard the dino war machine with love. They remove his higher functions when it is time to fight.

They cause the dino war machine to survive and disengage all empathy so that he regresses to an animal state of mind. 

Carving-Dino-Platform-1

And  the spikes show him the deep truth about war.

Once you open the doors of war, the dark beast is let out, and you will suffer for it.

You will not find a way back easily.

And when you come back, because sooner or later you have to, you will be changed and torn and unround.

There will be many a waning moon that passes, before the mountain streams murmur around you again and sunshine dapples the water in your sad eyes….    Carving-Dino-Platform-box

And that is why I had to make a cage for him-- to keep him from us, the weak and foolish, because he had found out that the background to war is two thousand years of oppression with malice,  imperialism under a cultural banner, economic exploitation for the gain of the Logo,  torture of the innocent, sexual tyranny for the cause of lust and the cult of greed genetically imprinted to the point of insanity.

He would kill us all if I let him loose.

Thank me for this that I have done for you.

Post a Comment