Sunday, August 8, 2010

Gemstone Lamination Notes.

A piece of aquamarine and a piece of amethyst is the starting point.

Then I grind and polish it to this shape.
A sort of yin yang thing.

I use seat check powder to spot the high points.
It is a spray powder that shows the touching points with a darker colour.
Very strong tool.

Until I get it to fit without light shining through.
Then I polish the curved surfaces.
Then I clamp it with a weakened bulldog clamp.
I weaken the clip by annealing the back part with a pointed oxy/propane flame,otherwise they are too strong and they go 'snap' and things disappear out the window if you lucky.
Now we wait, Ladies and Gentlemen , while the Hxtal NYL resin
hardens for five days, and then we will see what comes out.
And then the second phase of cutting and fashioning this gem will come about.

Mean time, back at the ranch/gem cutting machine, a dop is being prepared.
Actually this picture is just to show what I did.
It is not the actual dop shown below.

What I really made was a dop for my Imahashi gem cutting machine
that has a 18ct white gold plate soldered onto it.
This is going to center the stone and then when I transfer it to cut the
crown I will saw off the pavilion dop.
Same thing as transferring with wax or glue, but here I just saw the dop off.
I traced the outline of the two amethysts that I want to
laminate on to the white gold on either side to it.
Then I pierced the rough outline of the amethyst out.

Like this.
The white gold is polished and the amethysts are also polished.
The polished sections are lying face down in the picture.

Another view

Then the two sides are laminated onto the white gold and the
whole effort is allowed to harden for five days.
This way should allow the gold and gemstone to be perfectly orientated at 90 degrees to the table of the stone when I start cutting it.
Now we wait, Ladies and Gentlemen , while the Hxtal NYL resin
hardens for five days, and then we will see what comes out.
And then the second phase of cutting and fashioning this gem will come about.
Coming soon, at a computer near you.
Post a Comment