Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Mobile Bench- Post 4

Basically, I start with the polishing system.
This requires a bit of thought and some design because if the bench is in a place where dust is not appreciated, then there must be no polishing dust.
Right?
This is my suction unit.
She is as good at her job a Linda Lovelace was.
The outlet is at the bottom, above the wheels.

I made a suction grill and if you look carefully you can see that there is a cut out section to the right of the box.
The grill is made out of stainless steel and the 'box' is made out of nylon.
This is the rear view of the suction grill showing the cut out part..
The box will be filled with filter wool.
The suction grill affair is screwed on the beige and white sectioning.
The air gets sucked down at the back after passing through the filter wool.
The suction affair also bears the polishing lathe.
The beige coloured part will house a drawer that will hold some polishing buffs.
I use an Australian made polishing lathe.
I cut the spindle shorter on the left side so as to make the motor shorter.
The top switches on the side of the bench are for the polishing light and also the extractor.
The bottom plugs are South African 3 prong plugs that via an extension cord, will power the entire bench.
South African 3 prong plugs is the best system in the world.
They snap together, have nine components and are made of clear plastic.
American and European plugs have up to 20 components, need a Rubics Cube mentality to assemble and where designed by people who were kicked out of the Gestapo for cruelty.
The right hand side of the motor will have a 6" grinding wheel attached.
I will make the cover later.
I use a fine grinding wheel to sharpen drills and gravers and the like.
Also I 'pancake' a old 1200 gem cutting lap to the grinding wheel for bright sharpening.
Hang in there, pictures will come.

I use this stuff somewhat compressed as filter wool.
Linda in action.
I should have used a $100 bill but they a bit scarce during low season.
Next up is to fit my roller.
This is a big drag, so it is best to get it over with early in the project.
The square in the picture is made of heavy duty metal.
It must be totally rigid, otherwise the base of the roller frame can develop cracks if it flexes.
That happened to my previous one and it was a major mission to fix.

Fitted.
Just temporally, so that I don't have to drill heavy duty holes later.
Post a Comment