Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Road and The Mobile Bench


The runway on St Maarten had to be extended and so a new road has to be built around it.
In doing so the the entrance to our shop has been thoroughly fracked up.
Luckily it is the height of low season so not much is happening.

This is the road as it approaches our shop, and then it turns left, into Simpson Bay.

Wonder Woman on the road.

I have now finished the wheel arrangement of my mobile bench.
This is probably the most important aspect of this bench.
The very concept is that the bench is mobile.
Thus, fully laden and primed, it must be able to be raised onto it's wheels and then wheeled to where ever it is needed.
This might be, on a small scale, just to another room to follow the winters sun for instance.
On the other hand, it might also be to roll it into a van to go to another location, like a show or your new girlfriends house---juuuust kidding.
The picture shows the wheels up.
So the bench is hard on the floor.
I estimate the bench to weigh between 200-300 kilograms when it is fully laden, what with a roller, melting equipment and all the triblets, doming blocks etc, so it is not easily movable.

This is with the wheels ( 80mm diameter ) in to roll position.
This is strong stuff.
The pivot bars are 16mm diameter.
The square plate onto which the casters are attached is 8mm thick.
The connecting bar between the two wheels is 5mm flat bar.

Anyway, I set up my circular saw and started cutting white chip board ( 290mm x 700mm x 19mm) the bottom base of the bench.
From there the bench will be built upwards.
But now I have come to the point where I have to paint the frame.
I am going to do it in a 'hammered' dark blue paint.
Major mission.
In an earlier life I would have sent it in for powder coating, or I would have spray painted it.
Now on this island, it is me, a paintbrush and patience.
Something we are going to change in the near future.
The island part, I mean.

Here is a picture of the 'slats' of steel ( 20/10 mm x 3mm) that will hold the table top.
These allow the bench top to be screwed onto them and the design is such that the bench top is sectioned into three separate parts.
I like this, because if the bench top gets old and ugly, (like a politician), it is easy to replace a small section ( unlike a politician).
Also, if you look carefully, the gold tray support is visible, held on with clamps prior to the holes being drilled into the frame .
This tray has to be removable, because the bench must be able to be disassembled.
So the tray is not welded on the main frame.
Rather is screwed on .
This ends the easy part of the construction of this bench.
I am now at the point where I design 'systems' as in the 'polishing system', the 'melting system', the 'fabrication system' and so on.
Bear with me, all will become visual eventually.
Post a Comment