Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Bench Nearly Ready


My original microscope stand came incomplete.
It was a cheepo I bought on EBay and needless to say they never sent the missing parts.
So it was always a hassle to work with so I decided to fix it once and for all.
I didn't have any 35mm round bar so I bored out two large nuts to the correct diameter on my lathe.
Then I clamped some flat bar to the sides and welded them into place.

I welded a base on and bent some aluminium and the finished everything off with resin.

I welded the entire affair to my bench and added a on/off toggle switch to the base.
I had fitted a light to the microscope previously.
I just so happened to have a nice brass box that I had made for some unnamed project in the distant past.

Checking to see if everything is nice and straight.

The I added two lights to either side of the 'scope.
The scope might not be one of those $2000 ones, (it was only $600), but boy is it a handy tool to have for pave setting.
In the Jurrasic pre-scope days, I would have a 2% stone loss in the ultrasonic.
Which is a fracking mission, because generally, that is the last process of a piece of jewellery
And then you got to put it back into the ring clamp, empty the hot water out the ultrasonic, find the diamond, and reset.
All the time saying to your self, "I am not pissed off, I am not pissed off, 12345678910"
With the 'scope there is 0 % loss. I have not had one diamond fall out, ever since I started setting under a microscope.
So even a cheepo 'scope is better than none.

I use two 200 watt incandescent bulbs on my normal bench, along with a fluorescent light.
These incandescent bulb are quite hot, and since the fittings are actually made for only 60 watt, they kind of become untouchable.
I fact they become fracking hot.

So I line the inside of the light cover with aluminium foil.
It acts as a reflector and solves the problem very nicely.
At least the ones on my main bench have lasted for seven years.
The outside is only slightly warm, so now I don't have to call the burn and trauma unit every time I adjust my lights.

I remade the gold tray.
I could see the first one was not well made and was going to piss gold fillings like the Vic falls.
So I made a new one and made most certain that it will not leak.
I always work on a section of carpet on which my bench stands.
The carpet traps all the gold and silver filing and when I leave, or the carpet get shabby, I send it into the refiners.
In the old days when I had four people working for me in my workshop it would pay the Christmas pay and bonuses every year.
So, don't kid yourself, having a leak proof tray saves money.

A nifty little door through which to sweep the tray clean.
When I started goldsmithing, back in the stone age, I had a skin instead of a tray.
Now let me say a skin or pouch is the biggest crock of rubbish under the sun.
The tools are always in a pile on your crotch.
You drop a stone and it's search factories for ever.
I think I worked with a pouch for TEN years before I one day got so gatvol looking for a stone, I tore it out and made a tray.
Bless, best decision I ever made.

The grey door is to close the section that will house my oxygen equipment.
Hides it from the prying eyes of a landlord---juuust kidding...
Post a Comment