Monday, October 18, 2010

Rings,a Pendant and the Mobile Bench


Here is a Titanium and 18ct gold pendant set with two rubies and a diamond into the titanium.
The titanium is in the shape of South Carolina and the center ruby is set at (more or less) Columbia.
The other ruby is set and Cupercoy in St Maarten and the diamond is set at Charleston.
All very symbolic, as these pendants should be.

This gold and diamond ring was ordered to be rough and irregular.

Gold and 1.65ct diamond wedding set.

The current state of progress of the bench.
The drawers on the left are nearly finished and the center tray has been finished.
All the drawers have aluminium sectioning around the front and an aluminium lined hole in the front.
The hole serves as a handle to pull the drawer out.
In my previous benches, the handles always got in the way or were bent when the bench was moved.
So the KISS principle applies.

The top has been cut and fitted but not screwed down yet.
I photo the bench standing on the wheels, because I move it around all the time while I work on it.
That makes it look all tall, but it is actually quite squat.

This is the top drawer with the partitions fitted.
On the left go my buff sticks.
The smallest section hold my beading tools and my concave punches for setting tubes.
If I can, I use a punch to set round tubes up to 5mm.
All this using a pusher to fold the metal over for small stones wearies me.
Anyway, the right side section is used to hold my gravers, ring clamps and such.

This completes my front trays.

The center tray holds my karat punches, mandrels, binding wire, special tweezers, small screw drivers and allen keys and the like.


Making my Melting Pad.
First I make a ali frame and pop rivet a piece of 1.5mm steel plate in it.

Then I fill the frame with off-cuts of my soldering pad.
I import this stuff from a supplier in South Africa.
It is the very best material for soldering and I have not been able to find it from my suppliers in the USA.
Hence I use the off-cuts and not a new sheet.

Then I fit another 1.5mm plate of steel on top of the solder pads, which now act as a heat barrier.

The whole affair is bolted to the bench top, here shown removed and standing on it's side.

This is my melting pad completed.
Two 3mm thick steel flat bar pieces stop and flame from spilling over onto the bench proper.
It is fitted above the oxygen and propane section of the bench.
This system worked very well for me on my last bench.

Another Kiss principle.
The chain hold the wheel lever in the up position and dangles down when the bench is hard on the floor.
Next up are the front drawers, fitting my Graver Max, microscope and lights.
Post a Comment