Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Road, The Thieves and The Mobile Bench

In typical St Maarten fashion, the roadworks outside my shop have stalled for the last few days.
We had quite a lot of rain, during which there was no work, understandably.
Since the rain has cleared up, nada work. It really fracks up access to my shop, so September was somewhat dismal, business wise.
This morning at 6:30 Anne checks the monitor and lo and behold these two locals are trying to steal my little pick-up's tyres.
In broad daylight.
So when I go out and confront them, theyare as surprised as anything to see a jack under the car.
Like, "Dang, how did that get there?"
Problem is, the wheel has non-standard nuts on it.
So the wheel is not removable with standard spanners.
They apparently only noticed that after they had jacked the car up.
There is no point in reporting this matter to the police because nothing gets done anyway.

My mobile bench steams on.

This is the pliers/hammers/files tray.
Pictured with 47 tools in it.
When it is fully laden, including my torch ,it has a round 50 tools.

It slides into the bench and out of the way.

After I had finished the polishing system, I made an outside grinding attachment.
I modified a grinder cover I had and the built up a tool rest thingi.
I had to turn a spacer so the wheel is center, because I didn't want to shorten the motor shaft, just in case I need a fat wheel.

I am just using an old wheel for fitting purposes.
I normally use white or green wheels, but I have none that are 5 inches in diameter.
Actually 4 inch wheels are better, because if one is polishing, it is easier to stop the motor to change buffs.
A six inch grinding wheel carries lank inertia....
This is the burr tray and soldering tray.
I put a 6mm ball Frazer in for size...shame, it look all lonely.

This is when the two tray are tucked in.
The soldering tray is made out of steel, here shown unpainted.

My burr box is made out of Perspex.
The base is chipboard, then a piece of paper with a grid pattern printed on it and the a 3mm cover of clear perspex.

There are 171 holes.
What I do is write the ball Frazer sizes down on the paper, and then I always can put them in the correct hole.
I also mark the burrs with a cut off wheel so I know that say a 2.6mm ball Frazer is that.
This sounds like a lot of work, but in the end save a lot of time.
No looking around for a particular sized burr and no picking up a vernier to measure it.
The biggest time waster is looking for a tool, so I always put a tool back to it's place, even when I am working with it.
More effort, but I always know where it is, so no time lost, ever.

This is my acid box being built.

4mm glass on the inside like a fish tank, and just as leak proof.
Then a protective plastic semi-rigid foam around it.

A perspex lid that slides away to open the box.

Checking the box to see if there are any leaks.


In the bench.
I do not bother with heated crock pots and all that..
I simply quench my piece hot.
So when I finish soldering I turf it into the appropriate acid.
I also don't bother to use copper tongs.
Just plain 'ol spring tweezers.
I have never understood this fixation of pieces turning red and being plated out and the endless explanations why.
Acids are cheap.
My sulphuric is diluted battery acid.
PH down is available by the container load.
Bi Carb is pennies to the pound
So I change my acids every week.
Problem solved.
Post a Comment