Saturday, November 12, 2011

Just Shop Finishing.

IMG_7123

There is some cool tech that has come through in lighting.  LED’s ( light emitting diodes) are the very best for me here and so I bought ten bulbs. At  16 EU each, they not cheap, but I am told that they last for 35 years. I thought that was quite a claim.

IMG_7121

Thirty five years, that is if you use it 2.7 hours per day.

So that is seventy years if you use then only 1.35 hours per day. So if you use them for .135 hours per day they will last 700 years.

Gamiet..djy sprook met my…

It actually translates to about four years of 24/7 use.

Man, I am happy with two years.

Once in two years to replace a light bulb?

No problem…

 

IMG_7146

Then I glued the last shelf into place. Then I started making the light fitting for the shelves.IMG_7127

I drilled holes into a piece of wood and glued the bottom fittings in.

IMG_7133

Then I cut out shapes in copper and brass and melted the edges . I dropped the hot pieces in a solution of Sparex, ( sodium Bi-sulphate ) and hydrogen peroxide, except that I didn’t actually have any peroxide, but Anne had some hair solution stuff. So I poured it in and it worked just fine.

IMG_7143

The solution makes everything base metal colour. Kinda cute.IMG_7141

Then I lay them out and spray them with clear lacquer.IMG_7158

I wire up the lights and add all the copper and brass pieces.IMG_7156

These light probably were depressed because they had just been sentenced to four years hard labor.

I am using a ‘warm white’.

The other colour is ‘daylight’, but it is too blue shifted so the jewellery looks cold.

IMG_7154

Power time.

Surprisingly without any bangs and smoke.IMG_7196

Installed and they work very well. Everything a jeweller would want. A long life time. We run anything from 40 lights upwards to 60, so bulb replacement was always a hassle. Especially incandescent or Quartz Halogen. They run very hot and last maybe a few months.

The heat is bad for jewellery ( tarnishing and all that.)

I have had that many quartz Halogens on my jewellery before and it was HOT. These are actually cold to the touch.

IMG_7227

I also resurrected my Protea wood that I have had in storage for the last six years. I can light up the inside with LED’s with no chance of burning.

Anne and I used to live on a small holding in Swavelpoort outside of Pretoria. There was a massive veld fire one afternoon and afterward we went to inspect the damage. We came across this still burning piece of wood. The next day we fetched it and man did we struggle to carry this thing down the mountain. It is HEAVY and we arrived home looking like two coal miners.

The copper part was made out of an old geyser. It will be a coat and umbrella stand.

IMG_7175

This shop is very brightly lit. Yet so far our electricity cost are about a third of what we used to pay in St. Maarten. $300 per month instead of $900-1200/ month.IMG_7221

The next and last display being prettied up.IMG_7240

This stained glass/wood light has finally found a home.IMG_7244

Anne's light on her desk.

This light has a history.

I made it for my sister, but she didn’t like it and it was relegated to the spare room in her house. Hmmmm…

Then she moved to Australia and it was shunted to my father, who also didn’t like it so he gave it to my mother, who promply tried to sell it.

And then she broke the glass and there it lay in her garage in the corner until I went visiting.

Anyway, I ended up buying my own light back from her, ( Dutch, remember?) and after some careful restoration work she is perfect again.

Now she belongs to Anne who looks after her with ferocious dedication……………. And I am happy.

We will open next week, as soon a we get the banking machine working.

This has been a saga of epic proportion, even more difficult that Zimbabwe was. Maybe the techie will figure it out today, if he pitches…

We will see.

Post a Comment