Saturday, February 4, 2012

Construction of the Cubic Zirconia Steam Machine and other Stuff.

Other stuff first.

IMG_8681The other day we went with Wolfgang and Barbara to a place where you can get some really cool pork shank. IMG_8657We sat outside because then one is allowed to smoke. They not to fussed about smoking in Germany, but you can’t smoke inside.

IMG_8808A vegetarian’s nightmare.

IMG_8661

Look, I am not to crazy about pork as such, but this is very lekker chow.

Serious heart attackski stuff.IMG_8802

Anne and I went again a week later but this time we sat inside on account of it being fracking cold .

IMG_8930

My temperature gauge. The sensor is mounted on the outside against the building and because the building is about five degrees warmer than the ambient temperature outside, it actually is about –8.5C ---with sun.

Ha ha, the fucking sun. That’s a joke.

The sun here is like a politician. You can see it but it does squat except talk.IMG_8932

Contrary to popular perception, this is not my new Eskimo concubine.

IMG_8870

I made this little machine, about 20mm high excluding the inlet pipe, because I needed to see how a very small motor could work. I made some even smaller than this, but they did not run to well. Anyway, all this was leading up to another motor made out of stone.

11-Wilf-Ross-CZ

CZ is, in the gemological world is regarded as completed junk, worthy only of  setting into cheap jewellery and as cheap diamond simulant.

Purpl-Orange-Laminated-CZ-3

This might be trued for the clear material that imitates diamond, but the coloured material is far more interesting and when I have cut it into a nice facetted stone does not half do badly for itself.

IMG_8880

So, using the rough material pictured, I am going to attempt to make a steam machine as small as my brass model, along the same vein as the gem steam machine.

IMG_8886

My delicate hands cutting a slab of CZ.

IMG_8891

I made the cylinder out of a laminated CZ that was earmarked for faceting a multi colour stone like the third picture above, but instead the rough will be used for the cylinder.

So then I  drilled a pilot hole with a 2mm core drill down the center.

IMG_8898

The center hole was enlarged to 2.5mm and the polished and then two holes were drilled  for the pivot shaft and the inlet port.

The pivot hole does not go through to the cylinder, but stops just short at about .5mm .

IMG_8903

Then I  drilled the pivot hole through the yellow upright and temporally glued the gold pivot into the rough green and clear cylinder. I temporally glue every thing with two component epoxy, and the when I want to separate it I put the piece under a 200 watt incandescent light bulb.  The heat weakens the epoxy and it ( generally) separates .

Sometimes it doesn’t and the piece breaks, and then I wet my pants and freak out and curse and stuff.

OK, the pants part I made up.

I also started the piston  in 14ct gold for the metal work, because it is quite hard and it is after all gold, so it gives a bit of gravitas to CZ.

One wouldn't want to allow the CZ to lower the tone of the neighborhood too much, right?

IMG_8904

The red CZ in the photo is actually colour change material. So in fluorescent light, it is a golden brown and in incandescent light it is blood red---- seriously cool stuff.

IMG_8923

Here the conrod has the bottom part affixed.

IMG_8928

The basic plan is to glue the thing together, get it running, and then separate everything so that each individual piece of CZ can be faceted.

Once every thing is polished, then the components are re fitted and glued with Hxtal.

Once that is done, it is not possible to separate anything again.

A Hxtal joint is stronger than the material itself.

Angel

I have been playing with Photoshop again.

This is a tutorial I did, and I got it quite close to the original.

Post a Comment