Monday, July 23, 2012

And then there started the Crossbow Cannon.

IMG_2613

I started a new project, making a miniature crossbow that is at the moment called the cross bow cannon. This name is not cast in concrete, things change.

The wood is Rhodesian Teak.

When I was staying in Kasane and Vic Falls, the Zim Government decided to build a new section of low cost housing and a whole lot of trees had to be cut down.

Now there is one thing you cannot fault Zimbabweans on---they are industrious people.

So one day I was taking my staff home and there on the side of the road on a plot was this dude with a large saw cutting planks out of a tree trunk. This is mind numbingly tedious work.

Including that they have to be cut straight and indeed they were amazingly straight.

I bought most of his stock. Sort of because I felt sorry for him and also because it was not half bad wood. Okay, half was bad and the other half was good. He was happy and I got a ten year supply of Rhodesian Teak.

IMG_2621

Hack it rough. You can’t file something thicker, so I start thick.

IMG_2651

Making the trigger wheel. Got some serious filing to do.

IMG_2659

File that teak. I use a 16 inch rat tailed file to do this. A giant file.

IMG_2665

Then I use the course barrel bur to enlarge the hole so the wheel spins freely.

IMG_2669

Now I set the tone  and the general design flavor of the piece.

I have been hung up on that kind of design since I was a kid. The walls of my bedroom were painted black on white with this kind of motive. My mother didn’t freak out toooo much.

IMG_2671

Anyway, I needed some bronze plate 3mm thick and the thought of trying to find a supplier in Dusseldorf made me weak at the knees. Especially if you need only 70mm square. This kind of material normally sells in football field sized sheets.

IMG_2682

So I melted it and made my own plate. Much faster.

IMG_2685

Then I glued the trigger and cut it out. Three millimeters is quite thick, but it only takes an hour of piercing to get the basic shape out.

IMG_2696

Then I fit it and trim the trigger wheel down a bit. The blue marks are where I might set some gemstones in.

IMG_2717

Starting to carve the body.

IMG_2476

IMG_2477

IMG_2478

Some new barrettes that have sold.

There is a street here where the buildings are painted.

IMG_2735

This one is an etymologists dream.

IMG_2734

Lots of work. I know of some girls who will flatly refuse to enter this building.

IMG_2736

THIS must have been real vasbyt to finish. Click on the picture to see the details.

IMG_2732

Like this one to. Getting all those line straight and square—definite OCD there.IMG_2737

Better than all the grey buildings of Europe.

IMG_2689

“ Hi, my name is Schpeckles. I noticed you were eating a sandwich and I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind to just give me a teeny itsy weeny piece as well.”

Post a Comment