Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Rings and a modified pair of pliers.

IMG_1096

Nice afghan tourmaline I cut and fitted on her ring. Her design.

IMG_1846

Remade a single  ring out of her recently passed husband wedding rings.

IMG_2068

Ditto as above.

IMG_2318

This one is my fruitcake design. Work is kinda tight these days, so these don’t exactly represent my retirement annuity.

IMG_2088

The other day I bust a pair of pliers that I had modified for myself. No problem, I bought a set of circlip openers for about 12 bucks.

IMG_2092

Then I use my melting torch to bend the jaws into a round shape.

IMG_2098

Check how the heat has not even started to burn the red plastic of the handles.IMG_2089

Problem is though, that because the jaws are now rounded, they are also ‘bigger’ so the handles are far to far apart for comfortable use.

So I do the same thing to the handles. I heat them cherry red and bend them inward.

IMG_2438

AFTER I have removed the plastic. When that kind of plastic burns, it makes a million little blackbirds of ash, like acetylene torch. Very annoying.

The steel that pliers are made of, bends very easy when it is cherry hot.

“Hot short” means that when a metal is bright red hot it will tear and crumble easily. Silver is like that.

Steel, titanium and brass are not, for instance.

After the plier is finished being bent, I re heat the jaws and let them air-cool, effectively annealing them.

I use these pliers to hold cups and domed shapes. Very handy.

IMG_1387

Well looked after Beemer. I always liked this model.

IMG_2417

Summer cycling. I want to come here in mid winter and take the exact picture to see the difference.

IMG_2454

The kermis continues to be built.

IMG_2455

Big work, make no mistake.

IMG_2429

One of the local beaches on the banks of the Rhine.

IMG_2424

  Summer evening. It is about 7:30 pm.

IMG_2460

Mostly the graffiti in Europe sucks, but you got to hand it to ‘ol FH.    He wasn’t shy about heights.IMG_0830

I just had to take a picture of this piece in Cartier's windows.

Cats eye chrysoberyls, rubies and diamond beads, drops, and buttons. All in all, a bucket full of diamonds.

A snip, at 132,000 Euros.

Post a Comment