Saturday, August 25, 2012

Futheration Of the Crossbow Cannon

You know, I seem to have a penchant for eye wateringly difficult and vasbyt projects.

When I was younger, and a thing I was making became to much to do , I would either give up and consign it to the junk box, or I would put it aside and then start on it much later.

Sometimes years later.

I don’t do that any more.

I rather divide the work into smaller compartments.

So now I say, “OK, the next thing that I have to finish”  is the ( say) polishing or setting or carving or what ever thing.

Then, as each of these smaller goals are achieved, the whole project becomes smaller and smaller in it’s entirety, until there is that  shiny bright moment that says that there is only ONE more thing to do before the whole project is finished.

Now before I get excited just typing this drivel, I am actually at 80% of that objective.

So close, I can almost see it standing in front of me.

Not quite there yet, but close.

Without further ado.

 

IMG_3062

I needed some more agro in the front of the cannon.

I sort of wanted a Viking ‘ push forward’  medieval, dangerous thingi.

IMG_3066

I hot forged tapered square brass rod into this twisted Viking type shape.

Then I soldered it onto a silver backing plate and set a 14 carat amethyst into a tube, also soldered onto the base plate.

This screws into the front of the prod.

IMG_3071

I thought it came out radical—well pleased with the overall vibe.

( I’ m allowed to be be pleased from time to time, right? )

Anyway, I also spent an inordinate amount of time on the spanning mechanism, making it much lighter visually and a lot smaller physically.

I doesn’t show on the photi, but trust me, I did.IMG_3089

Next was to make some quarrel quivers on each side of the ‘bow.

I want them to hold three quarrels each, so that there are six in each quiver and one loaded.  Thus seven quarrels in total.

This represents the end of the seven deadly sins, namely:

  1. A proud look.
  2. A lying tongue.
  3. Hands that shed innocent blood.
  4. A heart that devises wicked plots.
  5. Feet that are swift to run into mischief.
  6. A deceitful witness that utters lies.
  7. Him that sowes discord among brethren.

Since politicians do all of the above regularly, it might seem easier to rather kill all of them instead.

I digress.

Each quiver is made out of 8mm brass tubing and the left side in the picture is the front, which is a silver kind of scalloped  cone

IMG_3094

Here they are in their rough and unfinished state.

There are 30x 3mm round garnets that I am going to set pave into the silver strips.

Oh my, eye watering work, all self inflicted.

IMG_3098

Dutch have the love of the colour orange genetically encoded in them.

Couple that to a cool number plate and yo’ got dem winna, mon…

Post a Comment