Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Replacing the Bearings In a Laboratory Hand-Piece and new work.

IMG_4033

Comes in this box. When I had a large workshop, I standardized on this hand piece, with the accompanying hanging motor.

I use it wet or dry when I carve gems, so the bearings get wobbly quite quickly. Since I have three, I decided to fix then all in one shot.

IMG_4017

It’s got a quick release chuck, which is absolutely essential when you do a lot of stone setting. But with the the main bearings worn out,  this causes an off center wobble and makes precision drilling difficult. Especially when one micro pave sets and the holes have to be drilled perfectly correctly.

IMG_4019

So the first thing to remove is the top cap that holds the felt washer .

At the top left No. 1.

Then the quick release lever is removed. No 2.

Then the two pieces of the main body are slightly unscrewed, like about a millimeter gap. This releases the tension on the quick release mechanism, and makes it easier to remove.

A 8mm spanner then removes the nut and inner lever. No. 3.

IMG_4020

The front part of the body is then unscrewed. This contains the front bearing, and is normally the bearing that is most worn.

IMG_4021

Here is a picture of the front of the body with the bearing removed. It fits snugly and I just use a wooden dowel stick to tap it out.

IMG_4022

Removing the part that locks onto the cable. It has got a locking hole and I just insert a old burr to hold it into place.

IMG_4023

Again my old burr comes in handy. The actual drive section that joins onto the cable, at the extreme right of the picture,  unscrews from the main shaft once the shaft is locked.

IMG_4024

Like this. Once all this is apart, the rear bearing can be accessed.

IMG_4025

This one also fits snugly and can be tapped out .

IMG_4026

Like this.

IMG_4027

The main shaft also has a thrust bearing, which goes on where the arrow points to. This one did not need replacing. There is some variation of this bearing between earlier and later models, but essentially they don’t really effect the precision much.

IMG_4028

Here is another picture showing both components of the thrust, ( or pressure) bearing.

The two main bearing , like all bearings , have numbers stamped on them.

I have a simply great bearing company in the UK called SMB Bearings .

I got no affiliation to them, but man, do I like a company who gives excellent service to a teeny weeny customer like me.

One phone call and it arrives without fuss—all correct and accounted for.

I also got my bearing for my spinning rings range from them.

Talk to Emma, she’s great

I don’t bother ordering anything in Germany any more. I am tired of having to provide my ancestral grandmothers DNA before they will let me give them my money.

Anyway, the whole thing is put together in reverse.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

IMG_4018

And just so no one thinks I am only playing service, service boy, here is a picture of my latest unfinished vitreous enamel painting piece.

A 50mm x 40mm Orange Breasted Bush shrike.  ( Telophorus sulfureopectus)

I just add the Latin name so everybody thinks I studied this stuff.

Cooling down from 800C , just out of the oven.

IMG_4032

Check how the colour change as it cools down. Now I got to work on the yellow feathers and the eye and some more leaves.

Still about five or six firings left…maybe more.

IMG_3997

This is a collaborative ring.

The sales lady designed it. ( very dangerous, that)

The captive goldsmith made it. ( captive goldsmiths work in small rooms in the  basements of shops here in Germany.)

The wild and untamed setter then set it. ( he can then afford a few crusts of bread and a glass of lukewarm water for the day)

Post a Comment