Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Palindrome Ladder.

The Palindrome Cannon needed a ladder.

Otherwise the pilot would have to clamber up, and being the pilot and a person of some stature, this would not be acceptable.

IMG_0403

I roll out  a strip of brass about 2mm x 4mm.

IMG_0407

I first drill one hole and then temporally rivet it. This locks the two sides and then I drill out two more holes and rivet them.

Then I drill the rest of the holes. The have to be exact, otherwise the steps would not be parallel.

IMG_0412

The slot in the bottom will lock into the leg rail on the cannon.

 

IMG_0427

Turning the steps.

IMG_0431

Getting them all in and straight was a  bit tricky.

IMG_0433

Done and soldered and sanded.

IMG_0437

The banister supports I made by fusing a little bobeltjie and the drilling it out.

IMG_0452

I figured that the copper I was going to use would shift under the heat so I used steel piano wire first.

Worked like a charm.

IMG_0459

The copper slipped in easy. Here is it before final finishing.

IMG_0463

Done, all nicely pre polished.

IMG_0465

And now the pilot can climb into the drivers seat in the manner that befits a person of such stature.

IMG_0469

Now all the legs and mandibles have been finished up to pre polish.

So now I work on the body again.

I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Post a Comment