Friday, January 24, 2014

Tutorials and Goggas

IMG_2870

I just finished a tutorial for an Australian goldsmith magazine on how to make this cluster.

This is the fifth one I’ve done for them.

 

IMG_3038

This is a tutorial I am busy with for my own site.

Should be ready about next week.

IMG_3055

I think I know what I am doing.

Lots of cast stuff.

That is going to be my push on this piece.

 

IMG_2901

I cast a lot of the parts in sand casting.

All these pieces are in brass and all of them took me a morning to make, wax carving included.

The top one was the only reject.

 

IMG_2895

I really like the technique, it’s fast and easy.

It’s just the finishing off is a mission, but then that holds true for any casting work.

 

IMG_2998

I got this ring in to set the stone.

A five carat light green flawless.

Trouble was the goldsmith made the collet a bit big so it was a real bug bear to set.

It wasn’t his fault, because this is how the customer wanted it.

Often, if you listen to a customer, they have ideas that are not practical.

This results in rings like this.

IMG_3050

Anyway, all’s well that ends well.

 

IMG_0259

This dude—he’s got the right idea.

 

_MG_0545

One wonders, did his kids give him that or did he have it made?

Post a Comment