Thursday, May 8, 2014

Distressed Copper.

 

 

IMG_5254

I have a lot of 2mm screws that come out on the other end, as in they go through and stick out the other end.

So they got to get capped.

I used 4mm rod that coincidentally came from an old Pretoria firm called Garlicks.

Untitled-1

I kid you not.

They went bankrupt and then they auctioned all the fittings and some of the parts of the brass chandelier wended their way into my grubby paws.

 

DSCN0026a-(32)

My Gear Gun’s barrel also comes from a Garlick’s Chandelier.

 

IMG_5255

Anyway, I turned a few on my lathe and then I polished them using the rod shown.

 

IMG_5258

I screw then on the end and then I use a big ass buff to get the all slick ‘n smooth.

 

IMG_5279

I used to ring birds for the University of Cape Town's

Avian Demography Unit when I lived in Kasane in Botswana.

One of the pliers used to close rings is the one pictured above.

I use it on the bench now and it is one of the handiest pliers to hold tubes and screws and things.

Especially little caps.

 

IMG_5261

I made a ring holder on the vine.

I coloured the copper under the ring.

 

IMG_5260

This is just a sample ring over the coloured copper.

It’s called distressed copper, because it gets coloured quite quickly, and in copper social circles that is quite distressing.

To lower the stress levels, I add some valium to the etching solution and then all the copper panels scream less.

I myself drink a beer and the alcohol numbs the pain of what I am doing to the poor, poor copper.

 

IMG_5277

This is the torture bench where I do my diabolical experiments on copper.

Pol Pot has nothing on me .

IMG_5274

Gauge.

The background is galvanized steel and I am going to prime it and then do a acrylic painting on it.

I want to see if I can do a 3D type fore ground/background type thing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

IMG_5036

He’s figured out how to climb to the top via electrical cord.

Bad-ass cockatiel.

He thinks he’s super clever.

Post a Comment