Thursday, May 1, 2014

Enameled Humming Birds.

 

 

IMG_5073

Decorate the copper panels.

Everything on this piece is fun to make, but some are more fun to make than others.

These ones.

 

IMG_5151

I draw them out big and then Anne shrinks the design to the right size and then prints them out on paper.

Then I colour them in and for some reason I always change the colours when I choose the enamels.

 

IMG_5092

Then I glue the paper down on some 1mm plate and pierce it out.

Left is the plate, middle is the paper after its dissolved off the cut out on the right.

 

IMG_5096

Cut out soldered on.

Hi temp solder.

IMG_5103

Gauge.

 

IMG_5136

This one is about to be fired for the second coat.

 

IMG_5134

I made the background aged with a solution that I got from Rio Grande that smells like the most god awful cat piss ever.

It’s quite nice, but I can remove the background easy if I decide.

 

IMG_5144

I haven’t decided on the background, so I left it brushed.

I made a flower for this one.

IMG_5164

The next two before enameling.

IMG_5170

All of them done.

The top and bottom ones still get metal flowers, I think.

Or maybe enameled ones.

 

IMG_5176

I also gold plated them.

I got some gold cyanide powder from Fischer and it works very well

I am going to plate most of the small parts because of no tarnish.

With the humming birds, the yellow border colour sets the enamel off much better than silver.

Next up is to do a test on gilding the brass vine.

Fun stuff.

Post a Comment