Sunday, July 20, 2014

Expanding Titanium Range and Painting Enamels.


Still making more titanium stock.

Pearl with diamond and gold.


Anne has expanded the web site, and I think she has done a brilliant job.


Don’t kid yourself, the work on the website takes just as long as actually making the jewellery.

Especially the initial setting up.


Filed and carved.


Filed out of a solid piece.


Multi metal butterfly pendant.


This one I carved and filed out of a solid piece and I hung a gold fused pendant inside made of 18kt gold.


Oh my, the enameling that I am teaching myself did not go so well.


I start with a cleaned up photoshopped image as the basics.



First firing.

I am going to do a whole post on the transfer technique, which I am still learning and refining .

It is a whole art in itself.

Anyway, I decided to use a blue for the first design imprint, so that the darker later stuff would hide that.

In any painting, whether that is proper paint or enamels, one generally works from light to dark, so you lay your lighter colours down first and the add your darker colours as you go along.


Mistake no 1. --- Yellow is a fugitive colour, so the more you fire it , the more it fades to a dirty brown.


Adding blue and brown.


At this stage I was not too unhappy, which was good, because I am never happy with any work I have done—ever.

I could see that when I added the darks it would start to give more depth.


I skip some steps in the utterly exciting and superbly written adventure.

Notice how the yellow is pulling a duck.


Working towards the final darks and finer details.



Anyway, I did three more firings and then I decided I had taken it far enough in the learning curve  to flux the top.

The trick with any painting is not to under or overwork it.



The enamel pulled away during the last firing.


So I fired it again, just to see what would happen.


This was my original mistake.

When I fired the copper with the first two undercoats of white enamel, I did not fire the second coat at a high enough temperature.

Or maybe to short a time.

So the second coat fired on the top, but did not fuse with the top of the first coat.

A basic error, called school fees.


So I started again.

This time I know more.

Post a Comment