Sunday, July 20, 2014

Expanding Titanium Range and Painting Enamels.

IMG_9038a

Still making more titanium stock.

Pearl with diamond and gold.

IMG_9039a

Anne has expanded the web site, and I think she has done a brilliant job.

http://www.meevis.com/titanium-jewelry.htm

IMG_9051a

Don’t kid yourself, the work on the website takes just as long as actually making the jewellery.

Especially the initial setting up.

IMG_9077a

Filed and carved.

IMG_9118

Filed out of a solid piece.

IMG_9129a

Multi metal butterfly pendant.

IMG_9132a

This one I carved and filed out of a solid piece and I hung a gold fused pendant inside made of 18kt gold.

____________________________________________

Oh my, the enameling that I am teaching myself did not go so well.

1-(61)bw1

I start with a cleaned up photoshopped image as the basics.

 

IMG_9144

First firing.

I am going to do a whole post on the transfer technique, which I am still learning and refining .

It is a whole art in itself.

Anyway, I decided to use a blue for the first design imprint, so that the darker later stuff would hide that.

In any painting, whether that is proper paint or enamels, one generally works from light to dark, so you lay your lighter colours down first and the add your darker colours as you go along.

IMG_9146

Mistake no 1. --- Yellow is a fugitive colour, so the more you fire it , the more it fades to a dirty brown.

IMG_9162

Adding blue and brown.

IMG_9166

At this stage I was not too unhappy, which was good, because I am never happy with any work I have done—ever.

I could see that when I added the darks it would start to give more depth.

IMG_9167

I skip some steps in the utterly exciting and superbly written adventure.

Notice how the yellow is pulling a duck.

IMG_9168

Working towards the final darks and finer details.

 

IMG_9169

Anyway, I did three more firings and then I decided I had taken it far enough in the learning curve  to flux the top.

The trick with any painting is not to under or overwork it.

IMG_9170

Fucked.

The enamel pulled away during the last firing.

IMG_9173

So I fired it again, just to see what would happen.

IMG_9176

This was my original mistake.

When I fired the copper with the first two undercoats of white enamel, I did not fire the second coat at a high enough temperature.

Or maybe to short a time.

So the second coat fired on the top, but did not fuse with the top of the first coat.

A basic error, called school fees.

IMG_9205

So I started again.

This time I know more.

Post a Comment