Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Making a Titanium Cup or Dish Thingy

Here’s how to make a seamless cup or dish thingy .

This could be used to make a locket or pendant or just a nice thing to waste your time on a Saturday afternoon, like I often do.

IMG_8863

Basically you need two rods of steel the same diameter and in this picture I used some scrap brass.

IMG_8864

Then the brass is aligned up like in the picture.

IMG_8866

And clamped in the vice like this.

IMG_8874

Then the outer lip is tapped over using a punch like this.

IMG_8871

Here is a picture of the piece half formed.

IMG_8875

Tapped all the way over.

IMG_8881

Then I took a piece of 1 mm titanium and did the same thing.

IMG_8882

Gauge.

IMG_8884

So then I decided to see if a square would work.

IMG_8886

Logic told me the corners would tear.

IMG_8888

Weird thing is they didn’t, but formed little horns.

IMG_8891

So after the brass was trimmed I did the same for titanium.

Naturally the titanium was a bit harder and I annealed it a couple of more times than the brass but it worked out OK.

 

IMG_8894

One titanium dish, ready to serve a very small salad.

Now it stands to reason that one could make pretty much any form is steel and then make a seamless bowl, given enough taps with your punch.

So I am quite chuffed that it worked, because it’s another piece of useless information that I can store in my mind’s dusty attic.

Actually, I can see this method could be used to make gem stone collets or odd shaped tubes in difficult to solder metals like titanium.

Post a Comment