Saturday, July 12, 2014

Painting in Vitreous Enamels.

 

There’s a website called Grains of Glass that I joined.

Lots of very good enamel artists there but not so many enamel painters.

Carmen Lombardi

http://grainsofglass.ning.com/profile/CarmenLombardi

and Susan Davies

http://grainsofglass.ning.com/photo/albums/landscapes

were my favorites.

Susan Davies mentioned that she bought her enamels from WG Ball, in the UK.

http://www.wgball.co.uk/index.html

Right next door, so I ordered it from them.

IMG_9032

This is the kit for about thirty pounds.

It’s  a bit limited in the colours but  there are enough to make a pretty picture, for sure.

IMG_9066a

This is my painting kit.

No.1 are two spatulas.

No. 2 is a milk top that is filled with clean turpentine.

No 3 are the paint medium and thinners bottles.

No 4  are the syringes with needles.

I have three, one with paint medium, one with paint thinner and one with pine oil.

No 5 are the colours.

I also have the same type of box for my Thompson enamels.

No 6 is my Hofner cigar box pallet mixing surface.

I made a glass plate on where I mix the paints on that is removable from the box.

 

IMG_9064

So then it’s easier to mix and stuff.

 

IMG_9025

So the first one I decided to try out the paints with was a Baobab.

I’m familiar with the subject because I used to make them out of gold in Botswana.

IMG_9061ab

It eventually ended up like this.

I used a background of Thompson 1060 white  and Isle blue 1605

Learning curve.

There was quite a bit of colour fade after repeated firings, especially at five ‘o clock.

The brown colour sucks.

Also the top most branches suffered from a spread with repeated firings.

Ergo, put your finest detail last.

This one was made on a 1mm copper disk that was domed and counter enameled .

I decided that was as far as I was going to go with this one.

Diminishing returns and all that.

___________________________________

The thing is I want to do is eventually be able to paint (and make) watch dials.

Watch dials are flat, mostly.

 

IMG_9091

A couple of posts back I showed how I made these copper faces.

The one on the right I test enameled with titanium white which is a high temperature colour, just to see what would happen if it was not countered enameled. ( It still went convex)

I drilled a hole also to see if enamel would run out. ( it doesn’t).

IMG_9093

Anyway, this one was my second attempt with the new paints'.

I used Thompson 1060 white as a first two coats, then a

mix of Isle Blue 1605 and Sky Blue 1610 as the background.

IMG_9054

I have a old dental vacuum oven which really works well for this kind of work.

It heats up from 0 to 850C in four minutes.

Heat on tap.

IMG_9100

This is what it looks out when it comes out the oven.

 

IMG_9103asn

And this is the finished piece.

Gauge.

IMG_9092

I made this Azure tool a while ago and it works a treat holding a dial in place when both sides are enameled simultaneously.

You never know when you need an azure tool.

Post a Comment