Friday, August 15, 2014

Enamel Painting. The Learning Curve.

 

1-(61)bw1

So this was my photo shop clean up.

I then shrink it to fit the size I am going to enamel.

IMG_9179

I make three.

Now before, I made the paper black with pencil lead at the back and then traced out the design from the front.

It works OK, sort of.

But I had not tried  the “traditional” way.

That is using a pin or needle to prick the design through tracing paper.

This took a couple of attempts and even then, the next one will be better---unless I figure out another way.

Because this way is a serious mission.

Far to much PT.

IMG_9182

Then I cut out some tracing paper the right size.

It’s quite a heavy type and I stuck it to some paper.

IMG_9183

So it can hinge up.

At the back is a pencil that I inserted a cut off needle in, to prick through the tracing paper.

IMG_9187

And then I stuck this to a small piece of glass, to stop the needle at an exact distance in.

At first I just did it on another piece of paper, but then the needle goes in to deep and the holes become to big

IMG_9191

The needle make tiny little holes through the tracing paper, all equal size.

IMG_9193

After the tracing paper had the design pricked in, I stuck it to the enamel.

IMG_9195

Then I made some lamp black oil.

IMG_9196

Once the soot from the candle is scraped together, oil is added until it’s like printing ink, kind of thick.

IMG_9197

This was my third attempt and it was just workable to accurately get the outline down.

In the instruction I read from -----  they say that if the first attempt to force ink through doesn’t work, just realign and do it again.

But my holes close up, so I probably am using a wrong tracing paper maybe.

 

IMG_9198

This is a simple design.

For a complicated one, there has got to be a better way.

______________________________________________

Then I found one.

IMG_9280

I took some lamp black, made it into a powder and then rubbed it onto the back of the transfer paper.

I stuck the front to a Post it note so that the transfer wouldn’t move around.

IMG_9281

Ta daa--- I signed my name on the front and it worked perfectly.

I am going still do some experiments with actual carbon paper, see  if it burns out.

(Later). Yep, burnt out completely.

Anyway, this is the twin of the first blank that bubbled.

IMG_9213

I re-fired this enamel blank before I started the actual painting.

Just to make sure that the two layers were homogeneous.

IMG_9215

This time I left the background last, what with the yellow colour change over many firings.

IMG_9217

This one was much more orange before firing and the brown was not nearly so pronounced.

IMG_9219

About halfway and then I decided this project had gone far enough and I scrapped it.

LATER:

IMG_9611

I received some clear enamel from a supplier in the UK and I  tried it out on my dragon and I also simultaneously made a gold star and drilled a hole in it and fused the whole caboodle together.

Worked too, no mean bean bubbles came up but it is still a reject, so it is thrown on the rubble mountain of Hans’ failed attempts.

Fail

Post a Comment