Sunday, September 14, 2014

Transferring an Image to Metal.

 

m

This image sort of had all the elements of what I was wanting.

OK, the tail is to short, the head to big and the body to slim, but that is easily correctable.

m

The first thing I do is  to desaturate the image in photo shop.

 

IMG_0002

Now I take some tracing paper and trace the image out and fiddle with all the aspects that I don’t like to fix them.

This is part of an enameled humming bird that will be used for the pendant in Nest.

IMG_0001

A while ago I bought a cheepo laser printer from one of the local chain stores here.

It cost EU50 and it came with a toner cartridge which will last me for a long time.

You got to watch out for these cheepo printers --- they hit you on the cartridges afterwards, e.g. printer fifty bucks, cartridge five million bucks.

Anyway, once I finished my tracing paper design I scan it to turn it into a jpg file which I put back into photo shop.

 

Humming-bird-master

I make a bunch the right size and also make mirror images.

Just because.

Then I print them.

 

IMG_9994

Then I rolled out some 18 kt gold, but of course this can be silver or any other metal.

I sand it down with 22o grit sand paper.

This is to give the surface some tooth.

IMG_0004

Then I put the piece of paper over where I want the design and I wet a piece of cloth with lacquer thinners.

Not to much, not to little.

Then I press the wet cloth on the paper and it becomes kind of transparent.

If you move it the transfer is ruined.

IMG_9999

Bingo, the thinners dissolves the toner and transfers it to the metal.

The transferred toner does not come off if you rub on it.

It also does not lift off when you pierce the metal.

You can only the paper once.

The main advantage to me is that I often have to pierce very thin sections and with out fail the paper I printed it on would lift off or cause fuzzy fluff thingi’s and then you can’t see where you sawing exactly.

Problem solved, once and for all.

Post a Comment