Sunday, November 22, 2015

Moving the Workshop.2

 

We rented a “ Oom Jan built this place!” type of cottage.

IMG_9386

You know, the type that everything functions despite the plans coming off the back of a serviette.

The washing machine blew up.

It made such a fucking noise that I phoned the owner up and told him I’m not switching it on again.

He replaced it a couple of days later, at the same time he also brought new prospective future renters for a look see.

Thanks dude.

 IMG_9390

Nice view.

Don’t laugh at the fire.

Anne and I had just come out of Dusseldorf where it was not easy to have a braai.

You had to schlep everything with to have a braai there and though we had some memorable ones, carrying all the stuff was a drag.

So having one right outside was cool, as was the weather at the time, like 10C

IMG_9426

The kitchen that Oom Jan built.

IMG_9399

I hate sleeping in hotel beds.

We lived in Elephant hotel in Vic Falls for five years, three days a week.

It cured me sleeping in strange beds, so we brought our own mattress and duvet and cushions and turfed the room mattress at the foot of the bed.

Gauge.

IMG_9432

 

I hung a red cloth on the stairs, because I just knew that I would bash my kop on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, we were still looking for a place.

We like industrial places, not mom and pop suburbia.

Difficult to find in NL.

Trust me, living in NL is a bit like living in a toy train set, everything on time and Oh So regulated.

Then we hit a luck.

We got a semi pan handle.

The owner made us pay the usual self employed ‘I don’t trust you tax’, but we were cool with that.

IMG_9570

The back drive way wasn’t the best, but not difficult to get tidy.

IMG_9486

As was the court yard.

The courtyard is one of the big plusses with this place.

NL is small, you don’t get free space for free.

IMG_9603

We first painted the place out, before we moved our stuff in.

IMG_9612

The first thing we fixed was the bedroom and from there we expanded the fixing, cleaning and painting outwards.

We just crashed on the floor for the first while.

I still had to build a bed.

IMG_9619

Serious cleaning.

I own a beautiful cleaning machine, just in case you didn’t know.

Post a Comment