Saturday, December 19, 2015

Furtheration of the Dragonfly Fighter.

 

IMG_0834_thumb

I cut all the leg attachments off and made 2 mm sides on it.

IMG_0845_thumb

The bottom body structure, made from different 1 mm brass panels.

The reason it looks red is because of the copper plating when the article is hot quenched in pickling solution.

I just use some iron wire to hold everything in place for soldering

IMG_0852_thumb

I first make it with cardboard and then cut it out of brass plate.

IMG_0862_thumb

Getting there.

Just the front and back need doing.

IMG_0870_thumb

Once the basic body was completed, I started on the tail segments.

IMG_0875_thumb

I turned the basic shape out on my lathe and then threaded holes for the yet to be made spikes.

The one facing down is from an old project.

IMG_0892_thumb

I made the tail end so that it screws on and holds everything firmly in place.

IMG_0897_thumb

The bottom wing holders.

They are probably going to be re worked some more.

Then the 'neck' was made.

IMG_0920_thumb

The neck made and now the head has to be developed.

The eyes will be worked more at a later date. For now that's the look I'm going for.

IMG_0927_thumb

Soldering the top surfaces on.

The head is a lot of work to get it to stand out correctly.

IMG_0946_thumb

I leave the front open, because I am going to make a visual sensing apparatus thingi later.

IMG_0957_thumb

The head has been closed up with panels soldered on until only the jaws in the front remain open, to be worked later

IMG_0960_thumb

The back stinger will get two more stings on either side.

I just have to solder them on later.

IMG_0984_thumb

The start of the legs.

so far I am only going to put four on, but that may change later.

The brass rods are only for style, angle and feel so far.

IMG_0982_thumb

I'll make them more involved next.

IMG_0988_thumb

Making the rear legs.

I pierce out four mirror images and then form them and solder them together.

IMG_0991_thumb

Tacked together.

Now the open areas get covered in thin copper sheeting.

I could carve the legs out of wax and then sand cast them, but then I would loose the ability to play with different coloured metals, because it would be solid brass.

IMG_1004_thumb

I have always liked playing with the three coloured metals on this world.

Yellow, red and white-- there are only three. ( excluding purple gold)

IMG_1048_thumb

Then I started making the feet for the rear legs, in the same fashion as the first part.

IMG_1050_thumb

But I decided they not nice, so now I am making another set, which I should have finished this weekend.

With a project like this I often make parts two or three of four times over until I am happy.

IMG_1061_thumb

This is the new design, drawn out on paper at the bottom.

I will make the components on my lathe instead of hollow.

IMG_1062_thumb

State of the jewel.

I quite like the front legs I stuck on for this picture.

They are rejects from an old project.

I doubt I'll use them though, they a little bit too 'insectoid-ish"

I think I prefer the bulky, two colour hollow look.

Post a Comment