Monday, February 22, 2016

Dragonfly Fighter.

 

IMG_2499

So then I went on to the probably the most difficult and fun part of this model--the cabin and it's inside.

I made a rough plasticine and wire model to get the so so size of the chair.

I don't like the cabin much--it's too finicky.

IMG_2510

Here is a rough draft for the chair.

I quite like it and if it works for the overall look that's good, but if it gets replace with another design then I can always use it for another project.

IMG_2518

Here is my little man again.

Anyway at this stage I decided that the original cabin design was lousy so I started a remake on it.

I knew that the original design had a high likelihood of being replaced so it's no big deal for me.

IMG_2521

I make a bottom frame that fits over the center part on my model.

The frame alone took me a whole day to make.

Often things that look simple are actually quite tricky.

Then I started to cut out the sides and screw them into the base.

IMG_2553

Drawing the shape for the overall look.

IMG_2567

Starting with the windows.

There will be glass on the inside and the center section will have a common hole that goes through the brass and glass.

IMG_2599

I wanted the bottom of the cabin to have a slightly whimsical look

Now I solder the sides together.

When soldering this kind of stuff everything warps and bends it is is not heated up slowly, so that require a bit of patience.

IMG_2605

Once the sides were soldered together I had to design the roof.   

I use cardboard templates before I cut the metal out.

IMG_2686

I made the first panels out of one piece of metal and then made two joiners to screw them onto the now soldered side.

Because of contraction and expanding when soldering, I have to have an immovable base, namely the sides, to continue with the other panels.

Othrwise it looks like a pretzel.

IMG_2768

The third and fourth panels are soldered on.

IMG_2828

Until we arrive at this rather awful looking apparition.

 

IMG_2831

After some pickling it still looks like a dogs breakfast.

IMG_2837

But is opens up and fits perfectly back.

I made it with a removable top, because I have to cut sections of glass for the windows later, and that gives me easier access to the roof.

IMG_2862

The old and the new.

 

IMG_2856

I'm not happy with it.

So I am going to remove some elements from the top.

It's just to lomp at this stage.

Post a Comment