Sunday, March 27, 2016

More Dragonfly Fighter.

 

image

So cut a whole lot of slats out on the top.

Gotta be brutal with your own designs.

image

Then I cut the glass for the cockpit.

I use 1.2 mm glass taken from a picture frame.

Good source of thin glass sheeting and not expensive either.

image

Once the are cut to size, then I drill a 3 mm hole through each one and it is then bolted in place with a placer screw.

(placer screw = screw that holds things in place during construction).

image

There were 18 pieces of glass and they were more that a little bit of work to get them all nicely behaved.

image

Then I etched a design into the floor pan of the cockpit.

I used the Edinburgh etch system.

image

It came out OK and then I added a copper surround with bubble rivets for decoration.

image

Now to make the alien pilot.

I made a temporary body, so that I can get a feel for the size.

image

Then I start with the head.

I decided to carve directly into metal, as apposed to wax casting.

So I start with a 10 mm brass rod that i turn and rough out.

image

I had to solder it back onto a rod to hold it easier.

You learn, and anyway, now the metal was annealed.

image

Frickin' thing looks like a duck.

image

Getting there.

This is the blank.

I will add more detail later in the project like titanium eyes and more attitude.

image

I finished the temp body and started working on the arms.

I want the pilot to be flying the Dragonfly Fighter in a banking curve.

At least, that is the display I am eventually going to make.

image

Working on the top of the legs.

I carve them in a mirror image simultaneously on one rod of metal.

I am slightly dyslexic, so it takes a bit longer than normal to carve mirror images.

image

Looking like a piece of shyte.

image

The bottom part of the legs and feet.

image

Then the arms and one flight control .

I had to make the flight control at the same time because I want one arm to be holding the joy stick and the other arm controlling the power as the fighter banks.

image

Now for the new body.

I carve a blank in wax first.

image

Then I sand cast the blank using the Delft Clay method.

image

The blank after being cast.

image

The pilot in his seat.

image

Now I am going to make all the alien instruments for the cockpit that are needed to fly the Dragon Fighter.

 

IMG_8665

And here I am now.

The cockpit opens so that the interior can be seen more easily.

Post a Comment